Well, never fear: here are the top five job interview myths !
1. If you are shy you should skip the interview. This is wrong. The admission committee is trying to get to know you. Most students light up when they are talking about something they are passionate about.
2. The more charming you are, the higher your rating will be. It does not hurt to be charming but the interviewer is looking for certain qualities. Substance is worth more than a superficial personality.
3. Interviews are formal and you should dress up. It probably will be summer and a suit will be too hot. If you dress up too much the admission committee might think you are hiding something or making up for some inadequacy. Some schools require you to be formal but most want a balance in between dressy and casual.
4. Interviewers want to intimidate you. Most interviews want to make you feel comfortable to see your true personality. However, there are a few who like to see you under stress. These are few and far between.
5. Short interviews are bad and long interviews are good. The length of the interview depends on the interviewer's schedule. Remember that the interviewer has to write you up before the next student comes. This requires time. They may only be able to spend 15 - 30 minutes with you.